Monday, April 7, 2014

Mike McCartney Shares His Photos And Memories Of The Beatles, Hendrix And Bo Diddley At Swansea's Grand Theatre

Nicknamed Flash Harry by Brian Epstein, Mike McCartney shares some of his favorite photos of the Beatles, Liverpool and architects of rock ' n roll at the Swansea Grand Theatre on April 25.



His photographs of the Beatles - when they were still combing her hair up and back like Elvis - have become an icon, and has enjoyed a life behind the lens and in the spotlight, with manufacturers the satirical mischief, scaffolding.

Now Mike McCartney will share tales of photographing Jerry Lee Lewis and Hendrix, and grow 'Our Kid' in artistic petri dish of his beloved postwar Liverpool.

He goes to the Grand Theatre in Swansea with Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n Roll (I Wish). He says you may have to forgive a little teary-eyed nostalgia at night.

“There are a lot of emotional moments in the show for me. My mother is there in the pictures and she died when I was 12. 's Dad is there.

 Already gone. And there are photos showing the extent of the bombing Liverpool, which was terrible, but luckily I was in the Walton General Hospital at the time, having been born. "

And of course bring back memories of kicking about dirty vibrant city, which began many musical careers of rock and roll.

“Listen Bo Diddley was one of my first musical memories. Between rehearsing with her band, Our Kid Bo Diddley plays records.

"When I went to the youth club and our son would go to The Casbah on the next street, you can get three buses. Would their amps and I would have my camera.

Then later I go The Casbah and I hear he plays Bo Diddley . Years later I took photos of Bo, not only with his famous oblong guitar, but playing drums in the place where the mother of Pete Best lived.

She would be upstairs and had music in the basement. A night had too much beer and I snuck upstairs to get a soft drink. She had gone to bed, but by then, but for the glow of the fire could see a bottle of lemonade on your dresser with the cap half off.

Started gulping him down, but not for long. Was hairspray. Was a memorable day, partly because I photographed Bo Diddley and partly because I drank hairspray? "

Showing the photos, he says, is a bit like entering your children. And welcome exposure is as nice as a hit record. But of course it has enjoyed hit records too.

 "Having my photographs at the National Portrait Gallery They is like having number ones have 2.5 million people see my exhibition at the Smithsonian in Washington - . Especially since the program was photos of the working class in Liverpool and destruction of the city during the war - it was amazing.

“I was just in the radio Jools Holland, doing my silly singing with Jools Holland Orchestra. Did 3 Blind Jellyfish, a B-side of a record of scaffolding that was not even a hit, called 2 Days Monday. Went, I came to the show Steve Wright and he was playing our Lily the Pink.

If you ask me if you would like your legacy is what invading Iraq or Afghanistan or want to be remembered for singing Lily the Pink on the scaffold? Know what I'm saying. What more could you want than to make people smile for a living? "


No comments:

Post a Comment